Michigan Right to Life has just issued its endorsements for the 2014 primary. RTL swings a significant number of Michigan primary voters, so its endorsements will decide some races.
RTL will recommend all candidates if they are all pro-life, but if there is a serious non-pro-life candidate, they will pick one pro-life candidate to endorse. Their noteworthy endorsements are listed below.
3. RTL endorsed Brian Ellis over Justin Amash. They did not endorse Amash in 2012. They apparently are still ticked over Amash not voting to defund Planned Parenthood (he opposed targeting a specific organization). This may complicate Amash’s reelection.
4. John Moolenaar. Does this mean that self-funding businessman Paul Mitchell is not pro-life? Tea partier Peter Konetchy is also running.
6. Fred Upton is again endorsed, despite his long pro-abortion record.
8. Both Mike Bishop and Tom McMillin
11. Kerry Bentivolio over Dave Trott
5. Democrat Shanelle Jackson in this Detroit-based VRA district
13. Four meet criteria (all but Al Gui)
17. Both Republican Dale Zorn and democrat Doug Spade
20. Margaret O’Brien over Ron Zuiderveen
28. Both Kevin Green and Peter MacGregor
31. Mike Green over Kevin Daley
37. Both Greg MacMaster and Wayne Schmidt
19. Both Cox and Crider meet criteria
30. No endorsement for Jeff Farrington
36. All meet criteria
38. Kathy Crawford over Dan Lauffer
42. Lana Thies. Rich Perlberg is likely not pro-life.
43. All five meet criteria
44. Three meet criteria (all but Garlick)
45. All three meet criteria
47. Campbell, Day, Vaupell meet criteria
56. Jason Sheppard over Irma Kubiske
58. All seven meet criteria
59. John Bippus. Who isn’t pro-life in this primary?
61. Stinchcomb and Iden both meet criteria.
62. Bizon and Kale both meet criteria.
63. Vic Potter over David Maturen, who is not pro-life.
65. Robert Sutherby. Who isn’t pro-life in this primary?
73. Six meet criteria (all but Downs)
76. All three meet criteria
80. All four meet criteria
82. All four meet criteria
84. Six meet criteria (all but Wassa)
90. All five meet criteria
91. All three meet criteria
95. Democrat Norman Braddock
98. Both Glenn and Ieuter meet criteria
104. Seven meet criteria (all but Hinton)
105. All three meet criteria
108. No endorsement for Ed McBroom