There is much to be excited about in today’s Republican Party. Enthusiasm is at a fever pitch. There is an influx of new supporters into the movement. Records were shattered for participation during the March primary election, with the majority of the new people coming into the Republican fold. It’s truly miraculous how many new people are active and interested in the cause!
At this point, common sense would seem to indicate that we should build the delegate base, and create a stronger, more invigorated Republican Party that is built for victory to take the country back in November. It is time to strike while the iron is hot, and make the most of the momentum building in our favor. That is how we can take full advantage of this enthusiasm to secure victory when it counts. That is exactly what the Michigan Conservative Coalition called for back in February, and for good reason.
However, Oakland County GOP Dictatress Theresa Mungioli has other plans for her little fiefdom.
Under the iron-fisted rule of Ms. Mungioli, a stunning 503 positions were cut from the precinct delegate roster in Oakland County for the upcoming 2016 cycle last week. This came after no deliberation from the executive committee. Ms. Mungioli showed no consideration for the duly-elected members of the executive committee that she is meant to represent. The delegates were cut by unilateral, dictatorial fiat. It is the GOP equivalent of Obama issuing an executive order to get around the checks and balances of Congress.
Apparently, for some strange reason, Ms. Mungioli does not want to assist the GOP renaissance that is underway. She clearly does not want to foster the Republican resurgence. Instead, she wants to protect the sanctity of her vaunted Good Ol’ Boys club. Because after all, it doesn’t matter if the Republicans surrenders the country to the Democrats yet again in 2016. What really matters is keeping the party under her thumb and making sure that her establishment cronies have their special interests protected.
But pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Everything is on the up and up because Ms. Mungioli says so. It was a logical maneuver based on low delegate counts, she says. Delegate counts were indeed depressed in the local party under her stewardship. It is true that many duly elected delegates did not want to show up to a Mungioli-led affair. And who can blame them? They got sick of their rights being tread upon by tyrants and crooks every time. So what is the Mungioli solution to this problem? Disenfranchise the people who actually still want to get involved!
To demonstrate that this is no mere isolated incident, let’s put Ms. Mungioli’s leadership record under the microscope. She has developed an extensive “rap sheet” in less than two years on the job as Oakland County Republican Party Chair. Among the finer moments are:
- The arbitrary cancellation of scheduled OCRP meetings, and repeatedly ignoring the advance pressing business advanced by delegates.
- Ending an OCRP Executive Committee meeting that was in process, without a proper motion to adjourn, while business was still being conducted.
- That same OCRP Executive Meeting ended–infamously—with Ms. Mungioli ordering the that the microphone be cut off as an elected Executive Committee member who held the floor to speak was addressing a lawful motion before the body.
- Using the official OCRP email account to attack other duly elected Republican Executive Committee members. This was the first time such a misuse of OCRP assets was used in this manner in the organization’s history.
- Threats of legal action of a specious merit were levied against a duly elected member of the OCRP Executive Committee.
- As OCRP Chair, Ms. Mungioli supported an open primary system which allows Democrats to vote in a GOP Presidential primary. She was instrumental in writing the rules allowing this to occur when she served as Chair of the Policy Committee of the Michigan Republican Party. Republicans need to ask themselves the following question: Why does Ms. Mungioli want Democrats involved in the process while Republicans sit on the sidelines?
- It is not a secret that Ms. Mungioli is married to a Democrat who just a few years ago represented that statist party as a duly-elected Precinct Delegate. After years of kicking dirt on grassroots conservatives while empowering Democrats to decide Republican elections, it becomes obvious that Ms. Mungioli leans her husband’s way politically more than she wants to let on….
In another tone deaf display of incoherent leadership, Ms. Mungioli had the nerve to send out notices to the party faithful encouraging them to recruit more precinct delegate candidates immediately after she axed nearly a third of the delegate openings. Why would anyone want to recruit delegates when it means that they could very easily be shoved out of the party by bringing them in? What kind of incentive does that give the elected delegates to build the party? These bizarre mixed messages show that Ms. Mungioli is a fish out of water right now.
The only good news about this mess is that it is likely her swan song. Because there is no way Ms. Mungioli can spin this as anything but what it is: open disenfranchisement of Republicans. This is a brazen middle finger to all the people she is meant to be representing. It can be interpreted in no other way, and it is happening around the state in a coordinated fashion. You don’t have to be the guy with the magnifying glass to figure this one out. It is plain as day.
The mask has been ripped off for all to see. The GOP establishment already has their operatives on social media and elsewhere muddying the waters. But these self-motivated actors have never looked more foolhardy than they have right now because they are defending the undefendable. It has never been easier to determine who actually has a backbone, and who will tolerate ANYTHING from leadership because they have either sold out or been beaten down like dogs.
It is Ms. Mungioli’s own divisive, unhinged behavior that has created this fiasco. She can evade responsibility all she wants, but the buck ultimately stops with her. Her record of leadership speaks for itself. Her colossal failure is evident. Throwing out 500+ potential dedicated volunteers from the party fold is the icing on the cake. And we wonder why the GOP keeps losing big elections over and over again? It is because of morally and ethically bankrupt leaders like Mungioli why this is the case.
But Ms. Mungioli and her buddies in the cabal can play these pathetic games all they want. They can try to worm out of their fate, but it is a losing proposition for them. Like Marie Antoinette after she uttered those famous words ‘Let them eat cake’, their fate has already been sealed. Theresa has had her Marie Antoinette moment with the delegate slaughter. Now, I just hope that she will relinquish her fleeting power with some grace and dignity. But I won’t be counting on it.